What are Dietetics and Nutrition?
Is a medical subdiscipline wherein the main focus is the study of how food and dietary habits affects human health and with the emphasis of treating diseases with a medical dietary plan.
What is the role of the dietetics and nutrition department?
- Counsel patients regarding nutrition in relation to their disease or health issues
- Develop and implement nutritional plan and care system for the both the in and out patient
- Manage, monitor and make changes if needed on the quality of the food and nutrition system of Dr Sulaiman Al Habib Hospital and Medical Center
Why is dietetics and nutrition important?
At the Dietetics and Nutrition Department of Dr Sulaiman Al Habib Hospital, we are aware how critical is the diet and nutrition of our patients. We carefully plan our in-patient meals to ensure that patients not only recover but also not to aggravate the illnesses of our patients. For the out-patients our certified nutritionists and dieticians will plan and develop a nutrition care system in coordination with the patient’s doctor and nurses to ensure that plan is in accordance to the medical needs of the patient.
Benefits of good nutrition
- Lessens the risks of chronic diseases
- Helps maintain body weight
- Good nutrition helps in having healthy pregnancies
- Helps in healthy ageing and supports natural body growth
- Aids in overall healthy well-being
- Can help in weight loss or weigh gain
What are the illnesses that can be treated with dietetics and nutrition?
- Digestive disorders
- Chronic illnesses such as: heart disease, kidney disease, diabetes
- Food allergies
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Celiac disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Food intolerances
- Crohn’s disease
- Short bowel syndrome
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Microscopic colitis